Mayor
Michael J. Olmstead

Sponsors Volunteer Forms Home

Celebrate 200 Years of History...Tradition...Family

200 Years of History
Port Miami of Lake Erie, Orleans of the North, Perrysburgh, for Perrysburg, Ohio

 

PERRYSBURG CELEBRATES 200 YEARS

1795 - Greenville Treaty signed between General Anthony Wayne and the Native Americans opened up the Northwest Territory at the foot of the Maumee rapids.

1810 - Amos Spafford sent by the government to be port collector to establish a town on the flats called Port Miami of Lake Erie (referred to as Orleans of the North) by inhabitants.

1813 - Fort Meigs, built by General William H. Harrison is unsuccessfully besieged in May and June by British General Proctor and Native Americans under Tecumseh. Orleans severely damaged by spring floods.

1816 - The U. S. government by an Act of Congress sent surveyors to draw up a new town to be named Perrysburg(h) after Commodore Perry. One mile square from Mulberry to Hickory and Front Street to South Boundary.

1817 - The Treaty of the Foot of the Rapids with the Native Americans extinguished their claim to lands. Spafford family purchased River Tracts 64 and 65.

1820 - February 12 - Wood County was created; named after Capt. Eleazer D. Wood, the engineer who built Fort Meigs. First Commissioners met in Maumee, first county seat.

1821 - Shipbuilding industry thrives into the 1840s.

1822 - County seat moved from Maumee to Perrysburg.

1823 - Court house built on West Front Street (County seat until 1870s). Hollister Trading Post enlarged by Samuel Spafford to become the Exchange Hotel. Still stands at 140 West Front Street First Post Office was established.

1830 - Murderer George Porter was hanged at the foot of Fort Meigs by Sheriff John Webb. A large crowd attended.

1833 - First newspaper published. Perrysburg chartered by the Ohio Assembly. John Spink, lawyer and county auditor, was acclaimed by popular demand to be the first mayor.

1835 - Ohio Militia stationed in Perrysburg during the Ohio-Michigan War. Governor Robert Lucas visited.

1836 - First Methodist Church was constructed and services held.

1837 - Daniel Webster visited Fort Meigs.

1838 - Fire Department authorized.

1839 - First wooden bridge built to Maumee by Hull and Young.

1840 - A huge crowd turned out at Fort Meigs grounds to hear General William Henry Harrison when he visits during his campaign for President of the U.S. Peter Navarre visited. The Draining of the Black Swamp begins.

1843 - New Court House completed at Indiana and Walnut Street.

1844 - Findlay Street opened from West Boundary to Indiana Avenue.

1845 - New jail built at Indiana and Findlay; today a private residence.

1846 - First public school opened on Louisiana Avenue and Fifth St. Maumee and Erie Canal in full operation.

1849 - Grace EUB Church constructed at 331 East Second Street (Demolished 2009). Fort Meigs Union Cemetery receives first burial on March 5th. Construction of the 5 1/2 mile Hydraulic Canal from Buttonwood Island to foot of Louisiana Avenue; serving many industries.

1850 - Town is growing with stores, warehouses, wagon and blacksmith shop, stave factory, tanners, mills, saloons, meat slaughter houses, ship yards and churches. Zoar Lutheran congregation formed; would build church in 1873. Black Swamp drainage continues.

1853 - Railroad era begins with train tracks laid, expanded to Toledo in 1859.

1854 - Cholera Epidemic caused death of more than 100. Perrysburg Journal begins publication.

1925 - Streetcars replaced by busses.

1927 - First traffic light installed at Front and Louisiana.

1930 - High school building added on Union School Building block.

1931 - Schaller Memorial building for veterans dedicated.

1931 - Present First Methodist Church opened.

1932 - Country Garden Club organized.

1933 - Just-Rite Cleaners bombed by Cleveland Mafia.

1933 - May 23– Four reproduced cannon from the USS Constitution arrive. Two remain in Riverside Park.

1934 - The Civil Works Administration, (later WPA) constructed a shelterhouse at Fort Meigs.

1935 - Dial telephones replaced operators. Franklin Roosevelt visited.

1937 - Original statues of Commodore Perry and the midshipman arrived from Cleveland and are dedicated at Front Street and Louisiana.

1939 - Water Street and Hillside Park built by the National Youth Administration.

1941 - Dec. 7– Pearl Harbor attacked.

1942 - Ross Enright appointed first Chief of Police.

1949 - March 19– Tornado struck school building on Louisiana also damaging bus garage on Third Street.
Tombstones damaged in cemetery.

1950 - Municipal swimming pool opens on Silver Maple Street.

1952 - Elm Street School opened (now Toth).

1954 - Country Charm Shopping Center completed.

1957 - New Fire Station built on Indiana at Walnut.

1957/58 - Pine Street School completed (now Frank).

1959 - New Grace EUB church opened. New brick Way Library completed.

1960/61 - Perrysburg Village becomes the City of Perrysburg.

1963 - Second floor of old town hall (called the Beehive) collapsed; building condemned.

1963 - New High School on East South Boundary Street completed.

1964 - St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church completed.

1965 - New Municipal Building , Police Station and Jail completed.

1966 - Commodore Perry statue moved to marble pedestal minus the midshipman who are displayed in the Municipal Building lobby.

1966 - Sesquicentennial observed. Ardath Danford published The Perrysburg Story.

1967 - September 9– Gendron Wheel Company at West Third and Cherry burns.

1967 - Interstate 75 opened to Toledo.

1968 - First Church of the Nazarene building constructed.

1969 - Eisenhower Park created at West Boundary and West South Boundary.

1970 - Orleans Park developed; Fort Meigs Shopping Center opened.

1975 - Reconstructed Fort Meigs opened.

1975 - Perrysburg Jaycees present flag pole for Municipal Pool.

1976 - Sgt. Kip Boulis drowned while attempting to save family from capsized boat in river.

1976 - Bicentennial Park dedicated; Historic Perrysburg, Inc. founded.

1976 - Restored Fort Meigs opens.

1977 - First Baptist Church completed.

1978 - January 26– Blizzard struck.

1978 - Sgt. Robert Schiffman killed in auto accident enroute to testify in court in Bowling Green.

1979 - Woodland School opened. Perrysburg Alliance Church building finished.

1980 - Woodlands Park dedicated.

1981 - A & P fire, one of the largest in Perrysburg history.

1983 - Islamic Center of Greater Toledo opened.

1984 - President Ronald Reagan visits via railroad.

1986 - Martha Baldoni, first female Mayor took office.

1986 - Perrysburg was part of “Hands Across America.”

1987 - 577 Foundation started.

1991 - Fort Meigs Elementary School dedicated.

1991 - Ohio Turnpike Exit opened at I-75 and State Route 795; the “Crossroads of America.”

1991 - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints opened.

1992 - Ardath Danford’s second book on the history of Perrysburg released.

1997 - New bronze Commodore monument with midshipmen dedicated.

2000 - New High School opened on Roachton Road; previous High School becomes Junior High.

2001 - Newly renovated Way Library opened.

2002 - Modernized community swimming pool reopened.

2002 - Original Commodore Perry statue moved to museum at Put-In-Bay.

2002 - New Fort Meigs Memorial Bridge between Perrysburg and Maumee dedicated.

2002 - Ralph Kleeberger released the book “Tracks Along the River Banks.”

2002 - Perrysburg Area Historic Museum (PAHM) organized and operating

2002 - May 2– Renovated Fort Meigs opened.

2003 - Reburial of remains from Spafford Cemetery to Fort Meigs Union Cemetery and dedication of plaque by Spafford family at Fort Meigs.

2004 - New Police Station and court building opened.

2004 - Levis Commons opened

2005 - C. Robert Boyd published a book on Perrysburg’s Historic Architecture.

2008 - 1894 School Building on Louisiana is demolished.

2009 - Ralph Kleeberger donated bronze statue dedicated to Perrysburg children.

2009 - Perrysburg Area Historic Museum purchased 1823 Spafford House.

2012 - April– Lightning struck Historic St. Rose, top eight feet of steeple destroyed.

2014 - April 28– PAHM opened the Spafford House Museum.

2015 - Richard Baranowski released the “Bicentennial History Book: Perrysburg Village Voices.”

2016 - Perrysburg celebrates 200 years of history.

To attempt to summarize the 200 years of history of the Perrysburg Area is a formidable task. This information was compiled with the generous cooperation and information gathered by author and historian Judith P. Justus, president of the Perrysburg Area Historic Museum (PAHM), and by local author and past president of Historic Perrysburg, Inc. Becky Visser.
Thanks also to Richard Baranowski, the local history librarian for Way Public Library, for his assistance. Every effort has been made to assure accuracy. Research, family traditions and hearsay often reveal more questions than answers when comparing historic references and recollections.
Compiled for the Perrysburg Bicentennial Committee.
Joseph J. Klein, Member

 

 

Perrysburg Bicentennial P.O. Box 267-PB Perrysburg, Ohio 43552